These projects are always exciting! They force me to tackle projects I normally would not consider doing. Challenging myself with drafting a new pattern, in time constraints, and with the clients chosen fabrics keeps me sharp and always learning.
This project happened to combine two things I love dearly: Music and Sewing.
The request was a fabric amp cover! The need for it arose because of course, a friends kitty minion was using the amp as a scratching post. And being a tube amp, keeping dust out of it is very important. So the amp cover would tackle both requirements.
The request was as follows:
- It must be thick enough to stop the cat from wrecking the amp further.
- The handle on top needs to be accessible so that the amp can be moved without removing the cover.
- The front needs to have a flap that can open and close but remains sealed when not in use.
- It needs to be designed from second-hand measurements. No seeing the amp in person.
We chose the fabric from my stash and I got designing it. My friend was lovely enough to give me an easy timeline and was totally open to my design.
We decided to seal both flaps with velcro to keep them closed. I had some issues with the first attempt to put velcro on. It was self-sticking velcro, and stuck on incredibly well, to the point that I couldn’t even sew through it by hand or machine. But, of course, the next day when I went to give it to her, the velcro just fell off. So she acquired some new sew on velcro, and I attached it with no problem. We also decided to close the front flap permanently.
All in all, I’m very happy with it. The client was as well, and that is what matters. It was a lovely break to sew something so geometric!