I took some time today to do some prep work and cut out a few patterns I’ve been meaning to do.
At this moment, I do not have a dedicated sewing area. Anytime I want to sew something, the living room floor gets completely taken up by a large cutting mat and all sorts of patterns, fabrics, and myself. Because of this, it’s much more convenient for me to cut out multiple patterns at once. It just makes sense to do a little prep work.
I have to be extremely careful in this territory, though. I’m the type of person who ends up trying to do too many things at once. It’s very easy to lose or mix up pieces with complicated patterns or similar fabrics. I’m also a notoriously messy… so there’s that as well.
To try and keep my messy creativity reigned in, I ask myself a few questions first:
- Will I have time to complete these projects within the next week or so?
- Are the fabrics dissimilar and unlikely to be confused with each other?
- Are the patterns simple, without many pieces, and are quick to put together?
- Have I completed any pattern adjustments, fittings, and made a muslin if required?
- Do I have everything needed to complete the project?
If the answers to these questions are all yes, then I will go ahead and prep away.
I’ve been working on being more organized in my day to day life. When I’m efficient that means more time to make and craft! And that’s a good thing, right?